Connect with us


Immunity after COVID-19 illness may last at least 1 year



Long-term data from northern Italy – an area that was badly hit in the early days of the pandemic – suggests that re-infection after recovering from COVID-19 infection is very rare and immunity in ex-patients can be long-lasting .

“Natural immunity to SARS-CoV-2 appears to have a protective effect similar to that reported in recent vaccine studies for at least a year,” concluded a team led by Dr. Nicola Mumoli from Fornaroli Hospital in Magenta. Italy.

The findings, based on the health records of more than 15,000 people, were published in JAMA Internal Medicine on May 28.

Despite the encouraging results, there are still important reasons for people who have gone through COVID-19 to get vaccinated, said an expert who wrote an editorial accompanying the study.

“First, we don’t know how long natural immunity lasts,” wrote Dr. Mitchell Katz of NYC Health and Hospitals after recovering from COVID. It is also unclear how much disease-related immunity protects against new variants of SARS-CoV-2, he added.

After all, there is a broader social benefit to having everyone vaccinated, Katz said.

“Achieving herd immunity through natural infection is a long and painful process, and historically the only human disease that has been eradicated, smallpox, has been eradicated by vaccination rather than natural infection,” he said.

In the Italian study, reinfection was defined as the occurrence of a new infection at least 90 days after “complete resolution of the first infection” to ensure there is no confusion about traces of the first infection that remained in tests.

Mumoli’s group tracked the rate of new infections in over 15,000 residents of the northern Italian region of Lombardy using PCR-COVID swab tests performed in early 2020 through late February 2021.

Almost 13,000 had a negative COVID-19 test on their initial tests, while 1,579 had a positive test.

Within a year after that, 3.9% of people who had never tested positive for COVID-19 in previous tests acquired COVID infection, Mumoli’s group reported.

In contrast, only 0.31% – five people – of previously infected people took on a second attack of the disease. Four of the five patients either worked in hospitals or visited hospitals, the researchers said, suggesting that they were particularly exposed to the virus. Only 1 in 5 re-infected patients were sick enough to be hospitalized.

In addition, reinfection usually only occurred after the time had elapsed: the average time from initial infection to reinfection was 230 days, Mumoli and his colleagues found.

However, the researchers stressed that none of this means that the previously infected person should skip the COVID-19 vaccination. Following Katz’s approach, they noted that their study “ended before SARS-CoV-2 variants began to spread, and it is not known how good the natural immunity to the wild type is [original] Virus protects against variants. ”

Doctors warn that two different bouts of COVID-19 infection could be possible

More information:
Learn about COVID-19 and vaccinations at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Copyright © 2021 HealthDay. All rights reserved.

Quote: Immunity from COVID-19 disease can last at least 1 year (2021, May 31). It was accessed on May 31, 2021 from

This document is subject to copyright. Except for fair trade for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without written permission. The content is provided for informational purposes only.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Fry Construction Selected for a Major Medical Imaging and Radiotherapy Addition by The Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders, Arlington, TX



CARROLLTON, Texas, September 22, 2021 / PRNewswire / – Fry Construction, a specialist in the precision design and construction of cancer treatments, medical imaging facilities, and surgical centers, has announced the award of one of its most demanding multi-modal medical construction projects.

Fry Construction, Inc. logo

TrueBeam variant

TrueBeam variant

The center will include a Varian TrueBeam LINAC and a GE CT on the first floor of a multi-story building with little clearance for pillar drilling, with all shaping and casting of the vault required after hours. A further complicating factor is that the ER access is located directly outside the investigation area and is housed in such a way that constant access is guaranteed.

“We are used to delivering the most demanding construction projects in the shortest possible time and we are proud that Fry Construction is repeatedly selected to overcome these obstacles to completion. Our 38 years of experience specializing in this highly focused sector of medical construction has taught us how to get our jobs done on time, on budget, and to build to the manufacturer’s strict specifications to meet device warranties. The criteria required by the CCBD are no exception, “said Ben Fry, President of Fry Construction.

The Center for Cancer & Blood Disorders was recently recognized through national certification through the Quality Oncology Practice Initiative (QOPI®) certification program, a member of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO). This expertise was acquired through adhering to strict cancer treatment standards – matched by only 23 oncology practices in the country. The CCBD requires the same level of experience and professionalism from its medical contractor.

Alex Carr, Varian’s Radiation Oncology Medical Device Planner, said, “By selecting Fry Construction, a Varian Preferred Contractor, to complete this complex project, CCBD has reassured Varian that the site is also preparing to the highest quality standards is deemed to be compliance with Varian’s Site Readiness Specifications as required by Varian’s infrastructure planning processes. Fry Construction has an excellent history of working not only with Varian but also with our shared customer base of cancer control specialists. I look forward to continuing this complicated and challenging project with this great team. ”

About Fry Construction Company, Inc.

Fry Construction is a leader in precision engineering of radiation therapy and imaging facilities throughout the Southwest. Fry pioneered the practice of precision medical engineering at the 1984 University of Texas Health Science Center and has since completed over 1,500 specialized facilities in nearly four decades. All have been signed with the major radiotherapy and imaging manufacturers in the United States while retaining their Preferred Contractor status.

Media contact:
Bruce Fry
[email protected]

SOURCE Fry Construction, Inc.

Continue Reading


Here’s how to report your USA food problem directly to USDA or FDA



Food Safety Month

Whenever you think you are seriously ill, see a doctor. And if you believe food caused your illness, make sure it is reported. Most foodborne illnesses are “reportable,” which means your doctor informs the local health department.

For example, if you had an outbreak in multiple states, you could become a “confirmed case”. Your confirmed test result will be reported to the health department, your name will be kept secret.

However, if you don’t want to take medical action, you can report your bad food experiences directly to federal regulators. Both the USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Service and the US Food and Drug Administration welcome consumer reports of contaminated or adulterated food.

But how?
Both FSIS and FDA explain how on their websites. With Food Safety Month coming to an end in September, Food safety news forwards this information along with some explanations to help consumers find the right agency. The FSIS and the FDA are responsible for protecting various segments of the food supply. If you have a problem with a food, be sure to contact the relevant health authority.

To reach them by phone:

  • Food and Drug Administration (FDA) call 888-723-3366 (10 a.m. to 4 p.m. EDT. Closed on Thursdays 12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. EDT.

Before calling FSIS or FDA, it is important that you understand how the responsibilities of federal agencies are divided among the various agencies. The FDA, which has the most authority in these areas, provides an overview of their breakdown.

In general, the FDA regulates foods and other products as follows:

  • Food supplements
  • bottled water
  • Food additives
  • Baby food
  • other foods (although the U.S. Department of Agriculture plays a leading role in regulating some meat, poultry, and egg products)

The FDA also regulates medications, including:

  • prescription drugs (both branded and generic)
  • non-prescription (over-the-counter) drugs

Biologics, including:

  • Vaccines for humans
  • Blood and blood products
  • Cell and gene therapy products
  • Tissue and tissue products
  • allergenic

Medical devices including:

  • simple items like tongue depressors and bed pans
  • complex technologies such as pacemakers
  • dental equipment
  • surgical implants and prosthetics

Electronic products that emit radiation, including:

  • Microwaves
  • X-ray machines
  • Laser products
  • Ultrasound therapy equipment
  • Mercury vapor lamps
  • sun lamps

Cosmetics, including:

  • Color additives in make-up and other personal care products
  • Moisturizers and cleansers for the skin
  • Nail polish and perfume

Veterinary products including:

  • fodder
  • Pet food
  • Veterinary medicines and devices

Tobacco Products Including:

  • Cigarettes
  • Cigarette tobacco
  • Roll tobacco yourself
  • smokeless tobacco

By subject and subject, the FDA also has “functions” that relate to these federal agencies:

  • Advertising – The Federal Trade Commission is a federal agency that regulates many types of advertising. The FTC protects consumers by stopping unfair, fraudulent, or fraudulent practices in the market. Consumers can write to FTC at 6th St. and Pennsylvania Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20580; Telephone 202-326-2222.
  • Alcohol – The Department of the Treasury’s Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) regulates aspects of alcohol production, import, wholesale distribution, labeling and advertising. Consumers can write to TTB, 1310 G St. NW, Box 12, Washington, DC 20005; Phone 202-453-2000 or visit the TTB contact page.
  • Consumer products The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) works to ensure the safety of consumer products such as toys, cribs, power tools, lighters, household chemicals, and other products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical, or mechanical hazard. Consumers can direct written inquiries to CPSC, Washington, DC 20207. CPSC operates a toll-free hotline at 800-638-2772 or TTY at 800-638-8270 to enable consumers to report unsafe products or receive product information and recalls.
  • Drugs of Abuse – The Department of Justice’s Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) is committed to enforcing United States controlled substance laws and regulations, including the manufacture, distribution, and dispensing of legally manufactured controlled substances. Inquiries about DEA activities can be directed to the Drug Enforcement Administration, Office of Diversion Control 8701 Morrissette Drive Springfield, VA 22152; Telephone 202-307-1000.
  • Pesticides – The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulates many aspects of pesticides. The EPA sets limits on how much of a pesticide can be used on food during cultivation and processing, and how much can be left on the food you buy. Public inquiries regarding EPA should be directed to the US Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Pesticide Programs Public Docket (7506C), 3404, 401M St., Washington, DC 20460; Telephone 202-260-2080.
  • Vaccines against animal diseases The Department of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS), Center for Veterinary Biologics, regulates aspects of veterinary vaccines and other types of veterinary biologics. Public inquiries regarding APHIS’s Center for Veterinary Biologics should be mailed to Center for Veterinary Biologics, 1920 Dayton Ave, PO Box 844, Ames, Iowa, 50010; Phone 515-337-6100 or visit the APHIS contact page.
  • water The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulates certain aspects of drinking water. EPA develops national standards for drinking water from municipal water supplies (tap water) to limit the level of contaminants.

The USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Service regulates this the following:

FSIS regulates aspects of the safety and labeling of traditional (non-wild) meat, poultry, certain egg products and catfish. For a USDA investigation into an issue with these products, please provide:

  • The original container or packaging
  • Any foreign objects that you may have discovered in the product
  • Any part of the meal not eaten (chilling or freezing)

Here is the information the FSIS Hotline needs from you:

  1. Name, address and telephone number;
  2. Brand name, product name and manufacturer of the product
  3. The size and type of packaging
  4. Can or package codes (not UPC barcodes) and dates
  5. Establishment number (EST), usually found in a circle or sign next to the phrase “USDA passed and tested”;
  6. The name and location of the store and the date you purchased the product.
  7. You can complain to the store or the manufacturer of the product if you don’t file a formal complaint with the USDA.
  8. If an injury or illness is alleged to result from the use of a meat or poultry product, you must also inform the hotline staff about the nature, symptoms, time of occurrence and the name of the treating doctor (if applicable).

The FDA Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, known as CFSAN, provides services to consumers, domestic and foreign industries, and other outside groups regarding field programs; Administrative tasks of the agency; scientific analysis and support; and policy, planning, and dealing with critical issues related to food, nutritional supplements, and cosmetics.

How to Report a Food Problem to the FDA

  • Please contact USDA for any questions or issues related to meat and poultry.
  • As a consumer, health professional or in the food industry, if you would like to voluntarily report a complaint or adverse event (illness or severe allergic reaction) related to a food, you have three options:
  • If you are a member of the food industry who is required to file a Reportable Food Register report when there is a reasonable likelihood that an article on food will cause serious health effects or death to people or animals, please visit the Reportable Food Register page.

How to Report Seafood Related Toxins and Sccombrotoxin Fish Poisoning Diseases

To help the FDA conduct effective investigations, remove unsafe seafood products from the market, and develop new prevention strategies, the FDA relies on disease reports from public health officials and health care providers. While most foodborne outbreaks are tracked through the FDA’s Coordinated Outbreak Response and Evaluation (CORE) network, seafood-related diseases caused by natural toxins have a unique reporting mechanism.

To contact the FDA by email:
US Food and Drug Administration
Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition
Mediation and information center
5001 campus drive, HFS-009
College Park, MD 20740-3835

The FDA requests that products not be sent to this address.

(To sign up for a free subscription to Food Safety News, click here.)

Continue Reading


Unvaccinated pregnant women at high risk of serious COVID-19 illness: Henry



A number of unvaccinated pregnant women have become seriously ill with COVID-19 in intensive care units in British Columbia, said Dr. Bonnie Henry on Tuesday when she urged women who are pregnant or thinking of having a baby to be vaccinated.

Over the course of the pandemic, 40 pregnant women with COVID-19 have been admitted to hospital intensive care units, including just under half a dozen in recent months, the provincial health officer said in her weekly update with Health Minister Adrian Dix.

There isn’t an increased risk of complications for the mother or baby from the vaccination, Henry said, but there is an increased risk of serious illness requiring hospitalization or intensive care for those who get COVID-19 while pregnant.

“It is highly recommended that pregnant women get their vaccines as soon as possible, preferably if you are planning a pregnancy, to get the vaccine beforehand,” said Henry. “But it is safe in every phase of pregnancy and an important protection for you and your baby.”

Henry said the BC Center for Disease Control’s website has specific information about the vaccines and pregnancy.

Clinical trials of vaccines did not involve pregnant people, but tens of thousands of pregnant and breastfeeding mothers have been vaccinated since last year, she said, adding that this is supported by the Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Canadian Gynecologists, and the National Advisory Committee on Immunization Recommended, and other similar groups around the world.

All vaccines approved in Canada are not only safe, but are recommended for pregnant, pregnant and breastfeeding women, Henry said.

Canadian research, due to be published shortly, has shown that there is no increased risk of complications including miscarriage, premature birth, stillbirth, or birth defects after vaccination, Henry said. She said this is supported by international data showing that more than 90,000 pregnant women in the United States were vaccinated against COVID-19.

Canadian and international data show that someone who gets COVID-19 while pregnant is more likely to develop a significantly worse serious illness, particularly with the Delta variant, Henry said. Because of this, pregnant people have been favored for early access to vaccines across Canada, she said.

Henry said she’s trying to counteract misinformation about vaccines, including the baseless notion that they can cause infertility: “There’s no way they can.”

The provincial health officer also advised people with COVID infection that they still need to be vaccinated.

Data from across Canada from around the world shows that antibody levels can vary after infection, she said, and some people don’t develop long-term immunity. At the same time, the virus continues to evolve and can evade your immune response, Henry said.

The vaccine offers broader long-term protection against different strains, even if they change or mutate.

Henry also noted that studies of Pfizer BioNTech vaccines for children ages six to 11 are ongoing and the province is preparing to offer them if Health Canada approves them for use.

The province will provide information to help parents decide whether their children should be vaccinated, Henry said. “That will be very important, especially since we are back in the school year.”

All Canada-approved emergency COVID-19 vaccines – Pfizer, Moderna, and AstraZeneca – are now fully licensed and approved in Canada for ages 12 and over.

© Copyright Times Colonist

Continue Reading